This year we are excited to be continuing our Activity Funds initiative in the areas of:
- Live Music / Performance*
- Community Engagement
- Environmental Advocacy
- Art Installation
- Fee Waivers for Emerging Indigenous Artists/Artisans & Grassroots Nonprofits
Activity Funds formalize Car Free Day's practice of supporting local community groups or emerging Indigenous artists in need of financial support for Car Free Day initiatives. It also hopefully reminds everyone that Car Free Day is a community-led initiative and a day for Vancouver to dream big, experiment, and play in the streets.
- West End application deadline is May 22nd, but applications will be assessed and approved on a rolling basis, so apply early.
- Maximum individual funding amount is $1000 for Live Music / Performance and $500 for Community Engagement, Environmental Advocacy and Art Installations.
- Fee waivers are only for grassroots nonprofits and emerging Indigenous artists looking to waive the vendor fees. We do not provide any tents, tables or chairs.
- Your activity must occur on Car Free Day.
- Car Free Day is not responsible for projects that go over-budget and can't compensate a project beyond the awarded funding amount.
- Applications are open to Metro Vancouver individuals, groups, nonprofits, and businesses.
*There is additional funding for new and existing live music programmers who would like to present Indigenous live music. Both Indigenous and non-Indigenous programmers are encouraged to apply for this funding, which is generously supported by Creative BC's Music Industry Initiatives Program. Non-Indigenous programmers who apply to receive this special funding to present Indigenous live music will be required to attend an info/training session as part of the program. This educational component will cover Coast Salish cultural awareness training, and how to best engage with Indigenous performers and artists. Dates and details will be sent to you upon application acceptance.
We will host two different info sessions for Activity Funds applicants who may wish to talk with a program administrator in person to ask questions or get help with their application. Dates TBA, but expect mid-April. If you plan to attend, please fill out the application after attending, as you can’t edit an application once submitted. Do not fill out two applications. ASL interpretation will be available upon request.
Please carefully read through the entire application and include a project budget proposal. Applications with missing information will be rejected.