Car Free in da Hoods: Car Free Vancouver Audio Tours
In 2020, Car Free Vancouver Society brought you our WE Live Here: A West End Audio Tour series to encourage and create car-free activities that could be enjoyed safely in the midst of a pandemic. We're continuing the fun again this year with our new Car Free in da Hoods Self-Guided Audio Tours!
Local writer, historian, and musician Aaron Chapman will be your host as we weave tales while you weave through the streets of the three unique Vancouver neighbourhoods.
Car Free in da Hoods audio tour release dates
East Van: Saturday September 11th
Strathcona: Tuesday September 14th
Mount Pleasant: Saturday September 18th
All tours will remain available until November 3rd, 2021.
How to enjoy this tour
- Bike or use transit to Audio Tour start points
- Be mindful of where you stand while listening to your audio. Leave enough room for social distancing, and safely out of the way of any oncoming bike or pedestrian traffic
- Use your headphones for the best listening experience
- Do these tours during daylight hours, mornings through afternoons are best.
- All tours could be completed in 1 hour, but that’s not including wandering. We suggest you give yourself at least two hours to really enjoy your time in each neighborhood!
- Pick a nice day with good weather to go on these tours! Wear good walking shoes. Hydrate!
Episode 1: East Van
Available from Sept 11th, 2021
Where you start: Trout Lake Beach, John Hendry Park
Distance walking: 2.6kms
Where you end up: Commercial Drive and 1st Avenue
Episode 2: Strathcona
Available from Sept 14th, 2021
Where you start: 487 Alexander Street
Distance walking: 1.9kms
Where you end up: 630 Raymur Avenue - Militant Mothers of Raymur Overpass
Good to know: The overpass is a little bit steep but wheelchair accessible
Episode 3: Mount Pleasant
Available from Sept 18th, 2021
Featuring Jaylen Bastos with a tour of Mintage, Hidden Public Gallery and Vancouver's Most Colourful Building.
Where you start: Mintage Mall at 245 East Broadway
Distance walking: 705m
Where you end up: Jonathan Rogers Park at 8th and Manitoba
Good to know: Mintage Mall on Broadway is not wheelchair accessible. We suggest you still enjoy listening to the audio, but visit the Mintage Commercial location at your convenience another day.
We hope you enjoy these epic tours of East Van, Strathcona and Mount Pleasant. You can let us know what you think by leaving your comments below!
Special thanks to Kimit at Paperwave Productions.
And thank you to Canadian Heritage for your continued support!